USA Obesity Rates Reach Epidemic Proportions
- 58 Million Overweight; 40 Million Obese; 3 Million morbidly Obese
- Eight out of 10 over 25's Overweight
- 78% of American's not meeting basic activity level recommendations
- 25% completely Sedentary
- 76% increase in Type II diabetes in adults 30-40 yrs old since 1990
- Source: http://win.niddk.nih.gov/statistics/index.htm , http://www.annecollins.com/obesity/statistics-obesity.htm
Obesity and overweight are increasing at an alarming rate in the Unites States. Weight loss in combination with increased activity levels and or exercise are essential. Dr. Rosquist is frequently asked about weight loss and if he uses any specific method or program. Our weight loss program is based on the glycemic index of food which means how high does the food one eats elevate their blood glucose levels. The higher the glycemic index, the stronger the insulin reaction. Remember, insulin lowers blood glucose levels by stimulating cells to absorb glucose. This gets the glucose out of the blood stream. When the excess glucose is stored by the cells and not burned off or utilized for energy needs, it is stored as adipose tissue IE. FAT. There are other factors also involved with weight loss. We like to perform blood chemistry thyroid evaluations before starting a diet program. If the thyroid gland is out of balance, it does not matter what diet you follow, you will not lose weight. Once we know that the thyroid is in balance, you can then begin on initiating an effective weight loss program.